"Are you quitting me?"
Description: Gruff inquiry of Marine Gunnery Sergeant Hartman (R. Lee. Ermey) in the Stanley Kubrick motion picture Full Metal Jacket (1987).
Marine Gunnery Sergeant Hartman trains recruits for Platoon 3092 at Parris Island, South Carolina. If he does his job right, his men will survive the rigors of war, so Hartman is extremely tough on the new men who arrive at his island boot camp. He admits "Because I am hard, you will not like me. But the more you hate me, the more you will learn. I am hard but I am fair."
When Hartmam first meets his new recruits, he says, "I am Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, your senior drill instructor. From now on you will speak only when spoken to, and the first and last words out of your filthy sewers will be "Sir." Do you maggots understand that?" Of course, all the recruits shout a resounding "Yes, Sir!"
He goes on to say," If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training, you will be a weapon. You will be a minister of death praying for war. But until that day you are pukes. You are the lowest form of life on Earth. You are not even human f**king beings. You are nothing but unorganized grabastic pieces of amphibian sh*t! There is no racial bigotry here. I do not look down on niggers, kikes, wops or greasers. Here you are all equally worthless."
During one rigorous day on the obstacle coourse, one Marine recruit falters under the pressure of military training, so Hartman - the drill instructor from hell - lays into the grunt screaming:
“Are you quitting on me? Well, are you? Then quit, you slimy f**king walrus-looking piece of sh*t! Get the f**k off of my obstacle! Get the f**k down off of my obstacle! Now! Move it! I’m going to rip your balls off, so you cannot contaminate the rest of the world! I will motivate you, Private Pyle, if it shortd*cks every cannibal in the Congo!”
|Hartman:||How tall are you, private?|
|Cowboy:||Sir, five-foot-nine, sir.|
|Hartman:||Five-foot-nine, I didn't know they stacked sh*t that high.|
“Who said that? Who the f**k said that? Who’s the slimy little communist sh*t, twinkle-toed cocksucker who just signed his own death warrant? Nobody, huh? The fairy f**king godmother said it. Out-f**king-standing! I will PT you all until you f**king die! I'll PT you until your assholes are sucking buttermilk!"
Sergeant Hartmam is never at lose for words. Here are more of his classic putdowns and insults that he hurls at his Marine recruits, especially poor Private Pyle:
- "Did your parents have any children that lived?"
- "I don't like the name Lawrence, only fa**ots and sailors are called Lawrence. From now on you're Gomer Pyle."
- "You slimy scumbag! Get on your face and give me 25."
- “Private Pyle I’m gonna give you three seconds, exactly three f**kin’ seconds, to wipe that stupid lookin’ grin off your face or I will gouge out your eyeballs and skull f**k you!”
- "Well there's one thing that you won't like, Private Snowball: they don't serve fried chicken and watermelon on a daily basis in my mess hall."
- “Why you little maggot, you make me want to vomit! [slaps Marine] You goddamned communist heathen, you had best sound off that you love the Virgin Mary, or I’m gonna stomp your guts out!”
- "Get your fat ass up there!"
- "Private Pyle, your ass looks like about a hundred and fifty pounds of chewed bubblegum!"
- "Were you born a fat, slimy, scumbag puke piece o' sh*t, Private Pyle, or did you have to work on it?"
- "Bullsh*t. It looks to me like the best part of you ran down the crack of your mama's ass and ended up as a brown stain on the mattress."
- "I want that head so sanitary and squared-away that the Virgin Mary herself would be proud to go in and take a dump."
- "I don't know but I been told... Eskimo pussy is mighty cold." [Marching Song]
- "Ho Chi Minn is a son of a b*tch.... Got the blueballs, crabs and the seven-year-itch!" [Marching Song]
- "I don't want no teenage queen!... I just want my M-14!" [Marching Song]
- "God was here before the Marine Corps! So you can give your heart to Jesus, but your ass belongs to the Corps! Do you ladies understand?"
- "Private Pyle has dishonored himself and dishonored his platoon. I have tried to help him. But I have failed. I have failed because YOU have not helped me. YOU people, have not given Private Pyle the proper motivation! So, from now on, whenever Private Pyle f**ks up, I will not punish him! I will punish all of YOU!"
- "Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy. And you don't look much like a steer to me so that kinda narrows it down. Do you suck d*cks?"
See also - Gomer Pyle: USMC (TV Series 1964-69)